Who's responsible for repairs?


As per the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008, the property manager/owner or provider is responsible for keeping the property in good condition and fit for the tenant/resident to live in.

The tenant/resident is responsible for looking after the property/room and keeping it clean and undamaged.

Tenants/residents should notify their property manager/owner or provider as soon as they become aware of a problem and not leave it until they are moving out of the property.​

Emergency repairs


Emergency repairs are repairs for:

  • a burst water service or a serious water service leak

  • a blocked or broken lavatory service

  • a serious roof leak

  • a gas leak

  • a dangerous electrical fault

  • flooding or serious flood damage

  • serious storm, fire or impact damage

  • a failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply to the property

  • a failure or breakdown of an essential service or appliance on premises for hot water, cooking or heating.

  • a fault or damage that makes the property unsafe or insecure

  • a fault or damage likely to injure a person, damage property or unduly inconvenience a resident of the property

  • a serious fault in a staircase, lift or other common area or premises that unduly inconveniences a resident in gaining access to, or using, the property


*All other repairs are considered to be Routine Repairs.*

*If your maintenance issue is, in fact, an emergency, call our Property Manager on 1300 122 366.*


Fast facts


  • A tenant/resident must notify the property manager/owner or manager in writing of the need for an emergency repair. In an emergency, the nominated repairer can be contacted directly if the property manager/owner or manager is unavailable.

  • If there is a nominated repairer, they should be listed on the tenancy agreement.

  • If the property manager/owner/manager or the nominated repairer cannot be contacted, the tenant can arrange a suitably qualified person to carry out the repair. The tenant can pay the repairer themselves and get the money back from the property manager/owner/manager or get the repairer to bill the property manager/owner/manager. They should forward all receipts to the property manager/owner/manager who must pay them back within 7 days.

  • If the tenant pays for emergency repairs the cost must not exceed the value of 2 weeks rent.

  • If the tenant and property manager/owner/manager do not agree about the emergency repairs, or if the property manager/owner/manager has not reimbursed the tenant within 7 days, they can apply to QCAT for a ruling.


A tenant should not stop paying their rent to force the property manager/owner/manager to undertake repairs. This is a breach of the tenancy agreement. The RTA encourages people to try to resolve tenancy issues by communicating with each other.